Suncor - Firebag SAGD Project Feasibility Study, Front-end Studies and DBM
Business Lines: Heavy Oil Bantrel assisted Suncor with process engineering and project cost estimate support for this study of a 25,000 Bbl/d, $300 M SAGD heavy oil facility. Bantrel worked on both the feasibility study and the DBM/EDS for this project. The project scope included everything from site preparation to all on-site processing.
Bantrel assisted Suncor with front-end conceptual engineering and cost estimate support for the feasibility study of a 25,000 BPD, $300 million SAGD heavy oil facility in Fort McMurray, AB. Upon completion, we moved on to complete the DBM/EDS and associated AFE quality cost estimates for the project. They then moved into the EPCM phase with Bantrel as the prime EPCM contractor to Suncor.
The project scope was is all-inclusive, from site preparation to steam generation, heavy oil production, water treatment and on-site processing.
The Firebag project team consistently demonstrated innovation and ingenuity, pushing the technology envelope in the use of project management and automation tools and processes, including:
- Early and consistent demonstration of the priority of Health, Safety & Environment issues, seeking a “Zero Incident” result
- Material requisitions by e-commerce
- Structured approach to strategic purchasing for key commodities
- Application of Bantrel’s KASE system of quality gates (Key Activities for Successful Execution)
- Application of “lessons learned” and “value improving practices” such as value engineering, plant reliability evaluation, and life cycle value assessment
- Early involvement of local business and community leaders in dialogue on issues of public and environmental concern
- Back-to-front scheduling review – driving the design and procurement approach to maximize construction efficiency
- Best-in-class benchmarking for engineering design
- Evaluation of vendor supplied design-build packages