Whether your project is large or small...
Job Title: Communications Specialist
Reference Number: B-009-COMM-Apr19-E
Location: Edmonton (Alberta)
This position will report to the Communications Manager on a day to day basis, and functionally to the Infrastructure Communications Manager. The incumbent develops strategies to assist the project in public communications that will advance the project’s successful execution and engagement with a variety of local stakeholders
* Please note this position is not eligible for a relocation subsidy or living out allowance.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Work side-by-side with a local specialist public affairs firm that is supporting our project and with the customer communications lead in designing and executing public communications for the project.
• Plans, develops, and executes external communications, working in concert with the project management team, the public affairs consultant, and the customer. Communications may include broadcast, print, and social media, among other channels as appropriate.
• Alongside the Communications Manager, co-manages the project’s construction community outreach program, including communications about safety, traffic management, and other areas where the public could be impacted by construction activities.
• Develops and manages content.
• Manages internal communications relaying project progress and highlights to the projects employees. This may include a monthly bulletin or short e-newsletter to be distributed via the internal project web site or through a periodic email blast.
• Works closely with the customer’s public affairs team to promote public understanding and support for the project. Ensures that project communications align with Project Agreement (PA) requirements including minimum public notification periods for construction activities.
• Support traditional media relations activities by handling media calls, developing press-related materials, and performing media-related research assignments, in concert with the customer.
• Establishes and maintains a close liaison with appropriate government, media, civic, and industry leaders, as well as other interested parties, in the communities along project alignment.
• Manages day-to-day interaction with homeowners and business owners regarding construction activities near their property.
• Works closely with construction management and site superintendents to gather details on planned work and subsequent impacts to public walkways, roadways, and business accesses.
• Counsels project management on critical public and internal communications issues, objectives, and planned responses. Provides guidance, coaching, and support with respect to effective communication strategies and techniques.
• Over 7 years’ experience working within Communications
• Experience leading external affairs, communications, or community relations on a construction project
• Demonstrated skills in communications planning and execution for public information and community outreach
• Ability to interact successfully with senior managers and project stakeholders.
• Self-starter with an ability to lead project efforts and prioritize effectively.
• Ability to work effectively as a member of a team and on independent assignments.
• Competent user of the Microsoft Office suite of products and social media
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
• Able to work effectively in a complex project environment.
• Must be able to work in Canada
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume and cover letter, in MS Word format, to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning reference code B-009-COMM-Apr19-E in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for further review will be contacted. All other resumes will be retained for future consideration.