Job Title: Testing and Commissioning Lead - Rail
Reference Number: B-078-CSU-Aug17-E
Location: Edmonton (Alberta)
The Testing and Commissioning Lead - Rail is responsible for all delivery of track, facilities and civil joint venture activities carried out on the project. The successful candidate will negotiate major issues with top-level engineers and officers of joint venture partners and is accountable for the quality of testing and commissioning services, and the timely and profitable completion of startup activities on project. He/she will share responsibility and participate when requested in the business development efforts by providing technical support and developing new business. He/she will make day-to-day decisions within assigned area and make recommendations to senior management regarding policy and procedure. The Testing and Commissioning Lead is responsible to review project designs and recommendation of changes to design so that projects are safe and operable.
The ideal candidate will have extensive technical knowledge of testing and commissioning, rail operations methods and practices, as well as knowledge of the urban infrastructure industry, regulatory standards and design criteria.
*Please note this position is not eligible for a relocation subsidy or living out allowance.
A. Supervision Received
- Receives general administrative supervision and policy guidance from Central Functions Manager and Project Leadership team.
B. Supervision Exercised
- Supervises Testing and Commissioning Engineer for all CJV related items
- Handles client contacts and startup inquiries.
- Maintains good relations with senior levels of client management in the interest of business development.
- Maintains close working relationship with engineering and construction management to ensure the requirements from startup are met.
Essential Job Duties:
- Directs and monitors assigned testing, commissioning and startup and/or facility operations efforts;
- Directs the formulation of and recommends policies, procedures, plans and programs for the startup and facility operations department, commensurate with overall organization objectives;
- Directs the formulation and recommends an annual overhead budget and conducts operations within approved budget limits;
- Reviews and approves internal organization and startup staff assignments;
- Directs and conducts project assessments and reviews to ensure procedural compliance and the project readiness to safely execute major events and milestones;
- Approves assignments of Startup Engineers to new projects after consultation with the client, the Project Manager, and sponsoring organization management;
- Reviews and approves man-hour estimates for all assigned startup and operating services activities;
- Participates, as required, in engineering and construction reviews, management reviews of proposals and client contract negotiations, including final pricing of proposals, providing counsel and information about the projects’ technical feasibility and the project startup workload;
- Directs the implementation of training policies within the department;
- Ensures that startup is adequately represented in appropriate technical and professional societies as an aid in business development and to maintain professional competence;
- Support Phase 2 integration testing as required by Bombardier’s approved testing procedures; and
- Develop, review and approve all testing procedures for CJV activities.
- Extensive technical knowledge of testing and commissioning and rail operations methods and practices, calculations, applications of engineering methods, and general applications of computers to engineering problems;
- Knowledge of urban infrastructure industry and regulatory standards and design criteria;
- Extensive knowledge of administrative practices; and
- Skill in negotiation for dealing with joint venture partners.
The above is normally acquired through:
- A recognized degree in an engineering or scientific discipline, from an accredited college or university, or
- A professional license in an engineering discipline from a recognized licensing board, or
- Specialized courses in relevant general engineering, or an appropriate engineering discipline, and
- Extensive progressive work experience including supervisory experience at a management level preferably in startup and plant operations, but may be in allied phases of engineering including design, field construction, or plant operation in large utility, process, or industrial facilities.
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume and cover letter, in MS Word format, to email@example.com mentioning reference code B-078-CSU-Aug17-E in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for further review will be contacted. All other resumes will be retained for future consideration.
Please submit your resume and/or cover letter in Word format only.