Job Title: Project Engineer/Manager
Reference Number: B-016-PRJ2-Aug17-E
Location: Edmonton (Alberta)
Bantrel is currently searching for a Project Engineer/Manager for refinery projects located in Edmonton, AB. The candidate will have an engineering background with the ability to manage small projects from front end design through to construction completion. Field experience is preferred and is a definite asset. Tank erection and repair experience is required.
The Project Engineer/Manager provides leadership to the EPC disciplines on capital projects and ensures work plans are developed and aligned with the project execution plan, project job instructions, and project goals for safety, quality, health, environment, regulatory, schedule and cost.
*Please note this position is not eligible for a relocation subsidy or living out allowance.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assists the program engineering manager in establishing the detailed project engineering plan;
- Together with the program engineering manager, champions and stewards the project execution plan;
- Stewards the safety, health, environmental and quality objectives of the project including regular safety walk down inspections and conducting safety meetings;
- Defines and controls engineering work scope for the project;
- Assists the discipline leads in developing detailed work plans to support the project execution plan. Detailed work plans include the scope of work, list of deliverables, staffing plans, job-hours budget, and the schedule for each deliverable;
- Manages and coordinates engineering deliverables and provides inter-discipline coordination for the design and engineering of the project, including weekly technical meetings with action item lists and minutes;
- Reviews and approves the design documents, trends, change orders, material requisitions, technical portion of bid tabs, engineering studies, quantity take-offs, job-hour forecasts, progress reports and, with concerned disciplines, coordinates resolutions for field initiated engineering questions on engineering (RFIs);
- Organizes, assists and participates in plot plan reviews, PFD reviews, P&ID reviews, HAZOP, 3D model reviews, constructability reviews, value improving practices, client safety and operations reviews of the design work, and the quality checking plan including field checking;
- Assumes ownership of the project scope, material quantities, engineering job-hour budget, engineering schedule, interface date(s) of procurement schedule and project technical standards;
- Reviews engineering progress against approved schedules, evaluates changes and recommends corrective action to the program manager and program engineering manager, when required;
- Manages the flow of information between disciplines, procurement, construction, and third parties, to ensure project progress;
- Ensures availability of all required project materials;
- Responsible for the engineering and procurement budget and Management of Change (MOC);
- Maintains open and constant contact with the program manager, program engineering manager, procurement manager, project controls, construction manager and client contacts;
- Establishes and maintains effective lines of communication and provides operational day-to-day leadership over discipline engineering and document management leads;
- Leads the readiness review before the start of construction and after completion of design;
- Prepares or recommends project procedures, as required; and
- Maintains contact with the client, process licensor, project/jobsite personnel, sellers and regulatory Agencies.
- A recognized degree in an engineering discipline from an accredited university;
- A licensed Professional Engineer of Alberta in good standing with APEGA;
- Progressive work experience, including supervision roles, in project engineering and other relevant engineering roles including design engineering, start-up, field engineering, or plant operation in large industrial plants, utilities, process plants, or engineering/construction firms;
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, skilled in supervision, and leads the team by example;
- Multi-tasking and coordination skills executing complex projects in a high pressure and fast-paced environment;
- Strong interpersonal, problem solving, conflict resolution and negotiation skills;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, especially regarding issues which have potential contractual implications;
- A self-motivated person who also motivates others;
- Communicates in a proactive, accurate and positive manner at all times;
- Proficient technical ability and knowledge of project and field engineering processes and procedures;
- Working knowledge of the industry and regulatory standards, procurement and construction systems and procedures;
- Takes charge and is responsible for achieving the project engineering and construction goals with regard to safety, quality, health, environment, scope, cost and schedule;
- Be able to identify practical “work-arounds” to maintain project goals;
- Skilled in customer relationship management; and
- API 650 and 653 knowledge and experience would be considered an asset.
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume and cover letter, in MS Word format, to email@example.com mentioning reference code B-016-PRJ2-Aug17-E in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for further review will be contacted. All other resumes will be retained for future consideration.
Please submit your resume and/or cover letter in Word format only.