Job Title: NATM Tunneling Field Engineer
Reference Number: B-025-CSA-May17-E
Location: Edmonton (Alberta)
The successful applicant will provide technical engineering information and interpretation of plans, detail sheets and specifications for contractors. He/she will ensure construction work complies with all engineering standards, codes, specifications and design instruction. The individual will perform all functions and responsibilities in accordance with the company’s values and beliefs.
* Please note this position is not eligible for relocation or a living out allowance.
- Supervisory responsibility for the Mined Tunnel excavation face and associated works;
- Supervising the execution of the mined Tunnel excavation including installation of initial and final lining, grouting, spiling, canopy tube installation, and other elements of the tunnel works, appurtenant structures and subsurface facilities;
- Responsible for the safety, quality, and timely completion of the construction;
- Must be available at all times during the Mined Tunnel excavation activities;
- Informing the Mined Tunnel Superintendent of issues relating to safety, productivity, ground conditions, and other factors; ensuring remedial measures are determined and implemented promptly;
- Reviewing daily instrumentation measurement readings during excavation, interpreting these results, and developing action plans as necessary;
- Preparing and submitting weekly reports on geologic conditions as encountered during excavation for the Client;
- Working closing under the guidance and direction of the Mined Tunnel Superintendent;
- Track daily quantities to ensure schedule and budgets are being achieved;
- Assist in plan and spec analysis in order to provide clear trackable and coordinated interpretations of the design/drawings for construction;
- Research and recommend solutions to design document problems, including conflicts, interferences and errors/omissions;
- Act as liaison with subcontractors in expediting drawings and related information;
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date logs (RFI, Vendor/Subcontractor, Purchase, Owner etc.), track responses and advise the Project Manager and Superintendent of the status of RFIs;
- Maintain and update the Shop Drawing Log, review Shop Drawings and submittals;
- Coordinate submittals and procure all close-out documents including warranties and Operating and Maintenance Manuals;
- Monitor field work, including contract work, to ensure compliance with company standards, procedures, specifications and codes;
- Participate in the continuous updating and accurate generation of as-built documents;
- Assist with the research and preparation of field change requests to resolve design issues. Conduct quality control activities in accordance with instructions, inspection programs, using specified control measuring and testing equipment;
- Prepare drawings and sketches to support construction work as required;
- Understand and perform document control functions in accordance with on-site policy and procedures, including tracking and creating RFIs, transmitting and tracking of submittals, compose agreements, and maintain project expediting list;
- Attend project co-ordination and owner/contractor/architect/engineer meetings as requested or required;
- Obtain job-related photographs for records;
- Responsible for continuously expanding and updating professional knowledge and honing training skills in order to enhance individual and team innovation and productivity; and
- Perform additional assignments and responsibilities as assumed or requested by supervision.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in underground construction, including a minimum of seven years’ experience with NATM / SEM for tunnel construction;
- Working knowledge of construction equipment and techniques, drawings and specifications, building materials, and required standards applicable to discipline;
- Proficiency in department’s computer system, department software, and typing necessary;
- Ability to assume responsibility and to interface and communicate effectively with others. Effective oral and written communication skills and ability to represent the company and project team in a professional manner to the Owner, Architect, related project staff and the community; and
- Must be fluent in the English Language (written and verbal).
- Engineering degree or equivalent combinations of technical training plus 10 years of experience; and
- Legally eligible to work in Canada without sponsorship.
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume and cover letter, in MS Word format, to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning reference code B-025-CSA-May17-E in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for further review will be contacted. All other resumes will be retained for future consideration.
Please submit your resume and/or cover letter in Word format only.